Friday, January 31, 2014

Eight Hours to Start Ubuntu

So after trying a lot of different things - including unnecessarily changing the boot mode from "UEFI and Legacy" to just "Legacy" (in my bios) - I now have Ubuntu booting up on my new computer.  Not yet installed, mind you - more than 24 hours later and I still couldn't boot from the version of Ubuntu installed on my hard-drive.


If you:

  1. Considering installing Ubuntu or have already started
  2. Have a new machine with a high-end graphics card
  3. Haven't used Linux for anything more than a two day pet project or only in school
Get comfortable - because it could be days before you have things working/installed.  The most important recommendation I can offer is - make sure you have a second computer (more than just a smart phone) next to you - to help walk you through all the various commands/codes you're going to need to use.

I'm Not Alone

For hours all I would get was either the screen to freeze after selecting "try Ubuntu without installing" or at one point I was able to hear the drum sound - but the screen was black with a little blinking cursor was up in the top left hand corner of the screen.  From a number of posts it sounded as if the likely culprit is my new and high-end graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3 GB - 941 GHZ (or possibly the partitioning/format of my harddrives):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2178274


http://askubuntu.com/questions/352405/dual-boot-windows-8-and-ubuntu-12-04-irst-ubuntu-not-booting-black-screen


https://01.org/linuxgraphics/node/143


http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1682090



At a Bare Minimum


I've read about 30 - 40 different posts to help figure out my problems.  But, I'll list all of the things that ended up being necessary.


1. Disable quick/fast boot (available in both the bios and windows control panel)


2. Disable secure boot (only available in bios).  For some reason my version of windows and my machine's hardware didn't give me the "UEFI settings" panel in Windows mentioned on this page: http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/install-ubuntu-linux-alongside-windows.html

3. Change the boot order of my drives in the bios.  The bios installed on my machine is MUCH more graphical than I've ever seen before - you actually have to drag and drop the icons representing the drives to the order you need/desire.  It looked like this (see the bottom right section called "Boot Sequence"):

4. I had to use Ubuntu 13 (13.10) instead of 12 (12.04.3) as is mentioned here:

If I used the 12 version instead - it just skipped the GRUB menu and tried to load Ubuntu and I ended just hearing that drum noise/sound and that blinking cursor up in the top left of the screen.


5. When the Ubuntu ISO image is loaded from your USB Drive - you will be presented with the "GRUB Menu".  Select "e" (for edit), then go to the line that starts with "linux" and at the end of that line append "nomodeset" (minus the quotes) onto the end of the line. 

6. boot-repair: Essentially after you complete your installation of Ubuntu - you'll need to run all of this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair


7. Nvidia drivers!  So even after completing the installation and using the above "boot-repair" to fix my install - Ubuntu still wouldn't load.  So I tried the following command:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates

from here:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/236358

in the hopes this would resolve it.  Nada - I still just got the "drum noise" when I restarted my computer without the usb flash inserted.



At this point - when I booted up my PC no GRUB menu would appear - the PC would just load directly into Ubuntu and hit the black screen of death (or display the text "loading initial ramdisk..." - can't remember which) and play the drum noise.  I.E. it had seemed as if I had "bricked" my new computer - as I wasn't even being presented with an option to boot into windows (using the grub menu).


8. I re-booted off the Ubuntu ISO on my USB drive and re-ran boot-repair a second time using these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Now this time - when I clicked restart - I saw my first error message:
starting load fallback graphics devices    [fail]

Seems pretty clear - I have a graphics driver issue.  When it did eventually restart - I got the GRUB menu - but there was no option to boot into windows.  


9. However, there was an option to run Ubuntu in "recovery mode" (under "Advanced").  In the "recovery menu" I selected "grub" (next to that entry it says "Update grub bootloader").  Which I presume is the equivalent of entering something like the following at the command prompt:
sudo update-grub
or
sudo update-grub2

I've no idea which version of grub I'm using - I presume two and I think I saw that at the top of the GRUB menu when I last rebooted.

Some text flashed by saying "discovered windows partition on sd1, and so on".  Suddenly my windows partition reappeared on the grub menu - which allowed me to boot back into windows 8 - hurrah!



At this point without a Ubuntu ISO plugged into my USB drive - the grub menu appears and that menu includes an option to boot into windows.  I can also restart my computer, insert my USB drive (with the Ubuntu ISO) and boot from that providing I add the magic "nomodeset" at the end of the line that has linux on it.

In other words - I have yet to actually log into the Ubuntu OS that I so carefully installed on my PC's harddrive.  Best guess right now is that it is my nvidia graphics card.



10. Now after using the following command:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

from the website I referenced above:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/236358



11. I even tried updating the grub file mentioned here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/140640/nvidia-drivers-and-kernel-update-problems-nomodeset

And using VI to update the configuration/setting line it mentions to force it to include nomodeset - but the file was read-only and I chickened out on chmod'ing the file - in case that would break something.  Unix and Linux usually mark files as read-only for good reason and I'm simply too ignorant to know if that would break something badly.


12. Then I just went on a "bender" (a little crazy) and loosely followed this page:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2161464

Specifically this bit:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa  
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install nvidia-319 nvidia-settings-319 nvidia-persistenced libvdpau1


But I ended up having to drop the "nvidia-persistenced" from the last command and also prefix that same command with this:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime


I'm not really sure what I've done now.



Wild Goose Chase

I also ended up trying a lot of different things that didn't work - which are more important than the things that did work (since you can end up wasting hours - pursuing a dead-end):


1. Don't use the "unebootin" application to mount your ISO on your USB drive - it creates this strange menu, with a 10 second timer and no matter what I chose - the screen would just lock-up/freeze.  The ONLY way I was able to boot into Ubuntu was by using the "Universal USB Installer" (to mount my ISO on my USB drive) - I'd also recommend - always using its format option (of course providing you don't need anything on that disk you've mounted).  By using the UUI - I was given a 3 item menu (try without install, install, check for issues) AND a bunch of options like boot into text-mode and edit.  The edit option followed by the nomodeset on the Linux line was the ONLY way I could boot into Ubuntu on my machine.

2. Don't switch "Boot Mode Selection" from "UEFI and Legacy" or "UEFI" to "Legacy".  This will prevent the GRUB menu from appearing - which I needed in order to add the "nomodeset" to the end of the line that starts with Linux (not kernel) as was alluded to in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1682090

3. Some disk drives won't be recognized on boot-up.  Try just getting a cheap flash drive (instead of a terabyte or larger external harddrive) - the Ubuntu ISO wants to be loaded onto FAT32 - so a flash drive with anywhere from one gigabyte to 32 gigabytes is all you need.  I used a ten year old ipod shuffle - but you could just as easily use a camera's SD card. 

To Switch to Legacy or Not to Switch to Legacy

This person had success by switching the boot mode from EFI to legacy AND then using boot-repair:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/272728/black-screen-after-grub-cant-install-uefi

But, I think that is more for people who had Ubuntu installed first and then installed windows - but I'm not sure - I don't know anything about the application/tool "boot-repair".  Also I have seen other posts (like mine) cautioning people against switching to Legacy mode:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/374931/install-ubuntu-in-uefi-mode-unable-to-boot-from-usb

Best Online Tutorial for Installing Ubuntu onto Windows 8 Machine

Lastly, the best step-by-step tutorial I found online for someone with windows 8 installed that wants to install Ubuntu is this:
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/install-ubuntu-linux-alongside-windows.html

I just was blocked for about six hours when he gets to the windows 8 screen that mentions the "UEFI Firmware Settings" - since my version of windows 8 and the underlying hardware/firmware don't seem to support/have/provide it.



You've Run The Ubuntu Installer - So You're Done Right?  Right!?!

Wrong.

General Information

Here is a decent overview of the flag/setting "nomodeset":
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

The following thread was actually the first thread I found that most closely matched my symptoms and made me wonder if it might be my "new graphics card":
http://askubuntu.com/questions/352405/dual-boot-windows-8-and-ubuntu-12-04-irst-ubuntu-not-booting-black-screen

Again in their situation the use of the tool/application "boot-repair" came up - but I suspect they were starting with a machine with Ubuntu and then installed Windows.  And one last mention of the infamous "boot-repair" application/tool - obviously useful when things go wrong with an existing install of ubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/257479/ubuntu-wont-boot-from-a-usb-on-my-windows-8-laptop




There was also some useful/interesting information in the following thread - but more about just getting a USB drive bootable on your PC:

http://superuser.com/questions/507111/if-usb-is-not-listed-in-bios-as-a-boot-option-does-that-mean-the-machine-cant



What Prompted This Post

The "Ask Ubuntu" website/forum only allows new users to post two links in their posts - so as you can see - I have a lot more links I wanted to post.  Here is the post with my question:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/413818/new-pc-with-windows-8-needed-nomodeset-to-get-ubuntu-to-load

No comments:

Post a Comment